Can’t go out of the house but your taste buds are fluttering for something delicious?
How about a home-made sponge cake courtesy of my recipe? I mean who doesn’t love cake?
Benefits of sponge cake
Sponge cake is a low-calorie dessert so you shouldn’t worry about your calorie intake with it. Because of its flour and sugar content which are excellent sources of carbohydrate, it serves as a good source of energy.
However, it is very important to keep up a balanced diet to live a healthy life, and you should know having too much of something is bad, even if it has health benefits. Therefore, strike a balance in your cake consumption for a healthy life.
Without further ado, let’s get into the recipe!
Prep time: 20 mins or less
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Serving: 8-10 people (One 8″ round cake, 2 inches tall)
1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Oven or stove
Medium sized pot
Flat stainless steel plate (if using stove)
8 inches baking pan
Non-stick spray (if using oven)
1. Whisk the eggs, adding the sugar in bits, in a stand mixer on high-speed for about 1 min. If you do not have a mixer, whisk with a fork for 3 mins
2. If you’re using a stove skip this step
Pre-heat oven to 350F with the rack in the middle and line the pan with a foil sprayed with a non-stick spray
Alternatively, apply butter on the inside of the pan and dust with flour to make the surface non-stick
3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. We don’t want any sand in our cake
4. Whisk the melted butter and hot water together in a cup
5. Whip the eggs and sugar for about 20 mins. If you want a successful rise of cake in the oven, make sure to whip properly
6. Add the vanilla extract into the mix
7. Pour in a little measure of flour in the whipped eggs and fold using a spatula. Do not over mix or your cake will be hard
Continue this process until flour finishes
8. Add the melted butter mix into the batter and carefully fold with a spatula until no streaks of liquid remains
9. If using an oven, skip this step
Put the stainless steel plate in the pot and pre-heat under low heat for a minute. Then grease the pan with butter and flour as in step 2
10. Pour the batter into the pan
11. Bake for about 30 mins
12. To know if your cake is ready insert a toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean with no crumbs then the cake is ready
13. Remove the pan and allow to sit undisturbed for 10 mins. Set on the cooling rack and remove the foil
If you’re new to this channel, do well to subscribe. You can also comment below on recipes you’d want me to give out.
See you soon!