Hey there my loyal pastry lovers and my inquistive audience!
Ready to learn and try something new today? How about a home-made “hot crossed buns” courtesy of my recipe?
1 tsp yeast
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 sachet butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins
For the buns
1. In a large bowl, mix the yeast with lukewarm water and allow to sit for 5 mins.
2. In another bowl, melt your butter and combine with milk, sugar and salt . Stir properly
3. Once the butter mix is warm, lightly whisk an egg into it.
4. Pour in the egg + butter mix into the yeast mix and mix with your fingers till all the ingredients are totally combined.
5. Add the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and mix. Stop mixing when the dough doesn’t stick to the bowl
6. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 5 mins. Add the raisins and knead for 2 more mins.
7. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Leave to rise for an hour.
8. Cut the dough into nearly equal pieces and shape into balls
9. Place in a greased but floured baking pan
For the flour paste
1. In a bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Add water bit by bit to the mix to get an even but thick paste.
2. Add the paste in a piping bag. With the piping bag, make a cross shape on each buns
3. Refrigerate for about 24 hours before baking
4. Preheat oven to 350F and bake till golden brown
Once baked, glaze with milk and sugar and let it cool
You can serve with a cold drink or a “delicious dalgona drink” courtesy of my recipe
Here’s how to make one:
If this post was helpful: do like, subscribe and leave a comment.
See you soon!