By Ucheji Ugochukwu Samuel
Firstly, when talking or writing on depression we look at the definition, causes, symptoms, treatments or solutions.
Depression is a mood disorder that involves a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Please note that it is different from mood fluctuations that people experience regularly as part of life. Depression is also a common mental health problem that involves a low mood and loss of interest in activities. Depression does not come naturally, most times it is triggered by some circumstances.
Sadness, feeling down, loss of interest in our daily activities and otherwise pleasurable activities is something that happens to all of us at some point in our lives. If it turns out to be a continuous feeling without stopping it is termed depression. Symptoms Of depression can last for two weeks, while in some cases depression can last for several months or years.
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
Depression, however, varies from one person to the other but there are some common symptoms. It should be noted that these symptoms are sometimes, as a result of life’s crisis. Here is how to Identify symptoms of depression:
How long has the feeling lasted, how strong is the feeling and how much does it affect you?
Now, here are some common symptoms of depression;
- ANGER OR IRRITABILITY—This is when you start feeling agitated or even violent. At this point, you become less tolerant and short-tempered where everything and everyone gets you pissed off.
- SLEEP CHANGES—You no longer sleep well; It’s either a shorter sleep, Longer sleep, or no sleep at all(Insomnia).
- FEELING OF HOPELESSNESS OR HELPLESSNESS— At this point, you begin to feel all hope is lost. Your life feels empty and it seems as if help won’t come from anywhere and nothing will ever get better.
- APPETITE OR WEIGHT CHANGES—Significant weight loss due to the fact that you no longer eat like you used to or weight gain as a result of eating more than you used to.
- LOSS OF INTEREST IN DAILY ACTIVITIES-You no longer care about former activities that you engaged in. The ability to feel joy and pleasure; eg, sex is lost.
- CONCENTRATION PROBLEMS– You will begin to experience difficulty in staying focus, making decisions or remembering things.
- LOSS OF ENERGY-You begin to feel weak or fatigued and drained physically
CAUSES OF DEPRESSION
- ABUSE-Past physical, sexual or emotional abuse can increase the vulnerability to clinical depression later in life.
- CERTAIN MEDICATIONS-Intake of some drugs, such as isotretinoin-alpha, Antiviral drugs and corticosteroids can increase your risk of depression.
- SERIOUS ILLNESS-Sometimes depression co-exists with a major illness or may be triggered by another medical condition.
- MAJOR EVENTS-Major events such as getting married to the wrong person, losing a job, failed business, getting divorced etc.
SOLUTIONS OR TREATMENTS
Depression being a mental health issue has its treatments. And it can be treated both medically or naturally. And here are some drugs to be taken for the Medical treatments of depression;
- ANTI-DEPRESSANT- Anti-Depressants can help treat moderate to severe depression.
- Several classes of anti-depressants are available.
- Selective Serotonin Re-uptake inhibitors(SSRIs).
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors(MAOIs).
- Tricyclics antidepressants.
- Atypical Antidepressants.etc.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR DEPRESSION
- SET GOALS
- ENGAGE IN EXERCISES
- EAT HEALTHY
- GET ENOUGH SLEEP
- TAKE ON RESPONSIBILITY
- CHALLENGE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS
- DO AND TRY SOMETHING NEW
- TRY TO HAVE FUN.
Nice one here